Are You Sure Your'e Mexican

A blog about being a 3rd generation, bi-racial Mexican American, who doesn't speak Spanish (though I'm learning!) and working with a diverse, inner-city high school population. I have found using the label Mexican-American for myself proposes more challenges than one would think. This blog, in a nutshell, focuses on those challenges.

Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Beaner in Bean Town or Brown American Pride

With my most recent trip to Boston and it being the Fourth of July weekend, I thought I would visit the issue of patriotism.  First, I want to be up front.  I love my country.  I love the USA.  I honor our forefathers, I honor the soldiers who ensure freedom.  I honor my cousins, my uncles, my students that have and continue to fight to keep our country free and great. For them I raise up my "Freedom" Taco and say, Gracias.  I thank God everyday that I am here on this side of the border.  I hope that isn't too offensive to say.  Of course its not.  If my (Mexican) people didn't think this country was better, then they wouldn't be fighting so hard to come here, or stay here.  However, that doesn't mean I can't be critical.  And I shall be.

First, let me recap my trip to Boston.  This is what I wanted to experience in Boston:
I wanted to drink a Guiness in an Irish Pub
I also wanted to go on the Sam Adams Tour, he is a brewer AND a patriot afterall...
Instead this is what I got:




For the first time in my life, I got to walk where the patriots and great leaders of our country had lived, fought and died for this country.  I walked the freedom trail.  I saw bunker hill.  I touched the tombstones of our Paul Revere and John Hancock (not Herbie by the way). I climbed aboard the USS Constitution, Ol' Ironsides as it was referred to in my high school U.S. history class.    It caused a great swell of patriotic pride to see and do these things.  It also caused a great deal of conflict.  As a Mexican American living in these times, it causes conflict because on one side, I got to see the history of the work my American forefathers did to free ourselves from the oppression of the British monarchy.  The first, second, and third generation immigrant families who fought hard to establish themselves and be free.  On the other side, it caused great pain, as I contemplated the deportation of Mexicans (including from my own family), Ecuadorians, Cubans and many other nationalities, the virtual cock-blocking of the Dream Act in Congress, and so many other issues that our country faces.

Now, to be fair, our country was founded in conflict.  Its funny (more funny, "hmmm" than funny, "haha") how from the get go, there were movements of the majority to try and either marginalize or altogether get rid of the minority.  From the Italians, to the Irish, to the African Americans, to the Japanese during WWII, there have been countless movements to keep America "pure."  Racially, we have overcome a lot of the struggles our country encountered.  No more slavery!  Nice work on that one Lincoln.  No more Jim Crow laws.  Nice work on that one Kennedy. No more "Whites Only" in White House, nice job America.  No more deportations...oh crap. I guess this is an issue that still needs to be resolved.  Its complex though right?  Immigration is too convoluted to come up with a solution right?  But is the issue of immigration any more complex than ending slavery or Jim Crow?  May I be so bold as to say that immigration and deportation is the Civil Rights issue of our time?  It seems ironic that we, as a country can elect a man of mixed race into the presidency, but not figure out how to welcome "the tired, the poor, the huddled masses yearning to be free."  Especially since we have been doing that very thing for the past 200+ years of our country's history.

So, on this Fourth of July, I am a conflicted (Mexican) American.  On one side, I am proud.  I am patriotic.  I am bleeding Red White and Blue.  On the other side, I am hurting. I see the conditions of my people to the south of the border and feel sad.  I know why they want to come here.  They risk it all just for the opportunity to get  just a small bit of what you and I tend to take for granted most certainly on a daily basis.  They simply want the opportunity to be free. To be able to support their families.  To make a dignified living doing dishes and taking care of rich white people's kids.  They want to have the opportunity to make ignorant comments to the country about Paul Revere warning the British that they wouldn't take away our guns!
     Maria only wants to be the new Palin!



 








So, on this Fourth of July, America enjoy the fireworks and the hotdogs.  Take in that sweet liberated American air.  Offer a prayer of thanks for America and those that are able to sustain it as a country and a beacon of moral Democracy for the world.  Most of all,  thank God you were lucky enough to be born on this side of the American border, and not to the north, south or across the ocean.  Thank God your parents did the nasty on American soil, otherwise the 4th of July would be just another day on the calendar for you.

3 comments:

  1. Nice....I definitely enjoy reading these blogs & what always makes me angry about the immigration issue is how so few Americans seem to know that approximately 1/2 a square MILLION miles of American countryside was initially Mexican.....there would not have been a notion of "Anglo Saxon, manifest destiny" had it not been for the acquisition of the American Southwest.....heck, the entire state of California, which could easily survive as an autonomous sovereign nation was Mexico before it was the Bear Flag Republic.
    So, we live in a nation named for an Italian mapmaker, initially founded by an Italian who sailed for the Spaniards with a forgotten French influence but we still struggle with the class warfare which is immigration reform....People have this idealistic notion that we can have it both ways....we can capitalize off of the cheaper labor costs in Mexico & yet cry about how Nafta is destroying American industry &
    then when it comes to domestic immigration our agricultural & industrial base is constantly screaming for people willing to do labor at a cheaper rate & yet the same people that benefit from those that are willing to work for peanuts complain when they are brown & speak Spanish.....this is truly an economic & cultural conflict that can be traced back to the Spanish Armada & the Queens Navy.....and it continually manifests itself in a culture that "wants to have its' cake and eat it to".......but even having said that, this country is still the finest on the planet.....It is simply, a work in progress.....M.Rejkowski

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks M. I agree that our country is the finest, undoubtedly. Its because of this however that we have the responsibility to take care of each other and our neighbors. If that means welcoming the stranger in to our house, then that is the what we should do. Its part of our country's history, and should be continued on as our tradition to this day.

    ReplyDelete